Sunday, September 21, 2008

Saturday in Lima

To be perfectly honest I wasn't all that excited to be visiting Lima. My philosophy is that I already live in a big city, why do I want to be bothered by the hustle and bustle of another one? I joined the Peace Corps for several reasons. One reason, albeit it a very small reason, was that I really wanted to get away from the first world. Lima is hectic- McDonalds, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, KFC, bums, hustlers, bootleg products, etc. Things I can definitely do without. I would like to visit again just because there are definitely some more places I would like to see, otherwise, Lima can stay exactly where it is. I missed Huascaran while I was gone. I missed my barrio with its dirt roads and lack of proper lighting and the parade of dogs that are constantly harassing me. I began thinking, I already had to deal with the anxiety that comes along with separating from my family and friends in the states and in just a short ten weeks I am going to have to deal with the trauma of leaving a place I have grown to love and miss in just one short week. Bizarre.

2 comments:

Miley said...

Hi Giorgi, Great post, well written. Keep up the sterling effort ;)

Notes On A Healthy Girl said...

Ok, I have problems, I have been freakin checking your blog EVERY DAY waiting for your new post--all mad at you cause I thought you never wrote--then you Mom informed me today that you had just written a new one-i go do check and what do I see? BLOG ARCHIVE. Why your new posts don't show up on your front page remains a mystery. Anyways, you sound just as I have been imagining you would. I think about you about 29x a day. Miss you like mad. Please keep writing. Hope you got my mail. (real mail) Before you moved. Please let me know. email me if you can. PLEASE. Mean while, I will keep checking my skype. I love you and I am so proud of you. ~anu